What is the Laboratory
- It sees to formulating and implementing the Programme of Study approved by the Foundation's board for the development of progressive ideas and their translation into public policies.
- It is intended as a meeting-place, a place of collaboration and debate between the academic world, researchers, people in positions of public responsibility and others interested in the improvement of our collective social life.
- Our main goal is to subject public policies to permanent scrutiny in order to analyse their adaptation to the construction of an advanced society in terms of individual and collective liberties, justice and social equity and economic progress.
- For this purpose we put at the disposal of political, social and economic actors and actors in society in its entirety reflections and proposals which – based on rigorous intellectual standards and social participation – mean to contribute to the decision-making processes of those with the democratic legitimacy, social capacity and public responsibility to take decisions.
- Our work is not aimed at one part of the social and ideological spectrum. We seek to engage those who share our values and those who do not. We count on one and all to contribute to the public debate, to the debate over ideas in Spain.
The Fundación Alternativas Laboratory works on the basis of a three-year programme of study. This is approved by the Fundación Alternativas Board. The Laboratory's first three-year programme – from 2002-2004 – has now been covered and the new Programme of Study 2005-2007 is currently in operation, divided into different areas of work. It establishes the priorities for research and debate promoted by the Laboratory for the period in question.
The development of the Programme is directed and coordinated from the Fundación, which has a group of academic supervisors, individuals in charge of monitoring the work and editing chiefs. The supervisors work with the Laboratory management in choosing work and the selection of researchers. Alongside the authors, those in charge of monitoring ensure the punctual completion of the goals of each piece of research. It falls to the editors to ensure the final product is concise and well-presented.
Once edited, all the documents are placed at the disposal of the public on this website. The documents in progress and other related documents and debates can also be consulted here.
In addition, the section Laboratory Activities contains the conferences, debates and public engagements organized by the Alternatives Laboratory.
The LABORATORY has resources of its own allocated to the funding of its activities, thanks to the sponsorship of individuals and private companies.